Project Monotricat®: innovative naval hull
MONOTRICAT®: an innovative architecture of naval hull high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy saving, patented in Italy and internationally.
MONOTRICAT® is the first displacement naval hull navigating at speeds of planing hulls (*) on SPRAY SELF-PRODUCTS at high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy saving (*the resistance curve is a straight line).
MONOTRICAT® is an innovative architecture of naval hull high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy saving, patented in Italy and internationally, studied at the University of Trieste (Italy) – Dep. Naval Engineering, and at I.N.S.E.A.N. C.N.R. – Institute for Research in Engineering Naval and Maritime of the National Research Council – Institute of Towing Tank of Rome, and at the KTH Royal Insitute of Technology of Stockholm (Sweden), and optimized in C.F.D. at a italian research center connected with University of Genoa (Italy).
The purpose of this patented invention is to get boats that have: high efficiency, high navigation comfort, large load capacity, while ensuring increased safety / comfort / regularity of connections / excellent skills straightening / ability to evolve in narrow waters / cost operating in speed ranges which range from higher speeds applicable for displacement hulls at speeds typical for planing hulls while surfing the trim displacement: thus offer the market work boats, pleasure craft, passenger transport, coast patrol and .
These results are achieved thanks to a special shape of the hull which, starting from a thin and deep bow, it widens up to an angle of 180 degrees towards the aft area assuming in section a shape like a catamaran with a flat bottom delimited by two hulls very thin (or sheets). The forward zone is then delegated to the creation of a wave and turbulent motion with associated spray, whose kinetic energy is converted into pressure energy, and simultaneously sprays interposed between the bottom of the hull and the water, it breaks the boundary layer, reducing the viscous resistance.
This condition allows a reduction in strength and friction than the current hulls of more over 20%, measured and scientifically proven from skilled National Institutes of Research and leading Universities such as: INSEAN C.N.R. National Research Council – Institute Towing Tank in Rome, UNITS Naval Engineering Department – University of Trieste, KTH Royal Institute of Technology of Stockholm – Sweden.
The experimentation has had as their object the numerical evaluation relating to a vessel 24 meters long and 7.45 meters wide, displacing 60/70/80/90 tons, with the purpose of verification for a wide spectrum of use.
The experimental study has been previously performed with models navigators self-propelled variable length between 5 and 8 meters. These models are still available for demonstration in open water.
The hull Monotricat is characterized by high hydrodynamic efficiency and economy of operation, since, as already described, the recovery of the kinetic energy with its conveyance and containment below the hull, causes a lifting of the stern area offset by a lifting dynamics of the forward area, while the spray, proportionally to the speed, reduce the viscous friction obtaining therefore not a classical curve of the resistance but a straight line. The presence of these sprays has been documented by a video recording made at the University of Trieste by Prof. Igor Zotti who called the hull Monotricat a boat type ACS “Air Cavity Ship” but without the need to pump air below it as in ACS.
As an example of the efficiency of this new architecture of naval hull, it represents the difference between two types of marine hulls, one of a famous shipyard in the world (28 Shuttle of the shipyard Ferretti), and the hull Monotricat which results superior in all parameters considered by absolute evidence :
- “SHUTTLE 28”- Shipyard FERRETTI (Source: Magazine “BOATS”, May 2015 – page 92)
- “MONOTRICAT” Innovative Hull (Source: Towing Tank INSEAN C.N.R., 2010-2011)
|SHUTTLE 28 – Shipyard FERRETTI||MONOTRICAT|
|LENGTH||28,31 meters||28 meters|
|WIDTH||7 meters||8.77 meters|
|DISPLACEMENT MAX||106 tons||114 Ton|
|ENGINES||2×1200 hp Man||2×1200 hp Man|
|SPEED max||15.4 knots||19.5 knots|
|Range at 13,5 kn||640 Nm||1.100 Nm|
The MONOTRICAT Hull is distinguished from other types of hulls for: Safety – Comfort – Regularity of Navigation – Economy
Effect platform (stability)
L/B ratio = from 3 to 3.6 → high transverse stability and large spaces on board more of over 20% compared to other naval units of equal lenght;
Simultaneous effect of self-righting
Forms of bow wave-piercing → comfort in navigation at sea with waves
Effect MonoStab → maintaining trim sea adverse weather conditions: the trim constant at all speeds, practically horizontal, that does not vary in dependence on the speed variation) and which makes it unnecessary to install regulators trim (flaps);
Regularity of Navigation:
Higher speeds even in difficult meteorological conditions adverse sea
interposition of the foam between the hull and the water → reduction of viscous drag
→ effect ACS: Air Cavity System
→ power and lower operating costs
- Reduction of the wave formation: the wave formation engendered ahead with the associated spray is conveyed under the hull
- Increased load capacity: at same lenght, this hull has a greater width, and therefore great roominess interior and exterior
- Outstanding lateral stability; Greater width (effect platform)
- Increased maneuverability in restricted areas: the bow especially deep allow tight turns.
- Less draft: The particolar shape that resembles a catamaran with the bottom resting on the water and with greatly reduced side hulls creates a “effect platform”
- Improving the efficiency of the engines due to the water flow accelerated
- Exceeding the limitations typical of displacement hulls (the curve of the resistance appears to be a straight line)
- Economy, environmental friendliness and cost reduction management: the comparison of the experimental data with equal naval units on the market shows a real energy saving of about 20%.
- Wide possibility of using different engines depending on the application, with the possibility of using green technologies and renewable energy sources with lower CO2 emissions and less pollution
- Less interior space to be allocated to the engines, and then still more available space
- High load capacity (one of the models of size m.7,3 x 2,40 was declared fit to carry 13 people); Excellent ability to self-righting.
- High efficiency hydrodynamic: having a resistance curve almost straight, because of the recovery of the kinetic energy contained in the bow wave and associated spray, its new forms allow a hull of 24 meters to navigate between 10 and 40 knots , with the comfort of navigation and the typical plan of a displacement boat, without the use of excessive power, and thus with motorization and reduced costs of purchasing and running.
- Versatility: maintaining a high hydrodynamic efficiency for a wide speed range more extended compared to a conventional hull (resistance curve almost straight) since it is more efficient both in displacement boats that of planing boats
- Ability to diversify the exterior design: The versatility and the spacious interiors typical hull Monotricat enable design of a variety of solutions with regard to the exterior design: with endless possibilities to diversify the concept exterior design according to the specific needs and the owner’s tastes.
- The large possibilities of design and spatial organization that lends itself innovative hull Monotricat for more space on board internal and external compared to other types, makes possible various and diverse arrangements with various solutions for: ferries, yachts, fast boats, coast guard patrol boats, merchant shipping, freight, etc., depending on the specific requirements of use.
- Reduction of the costs of purchase and management, as the hull Monotricat to its conformation may be produced in equal volumes, with a considerable saving of money and time with respect to any other vessel or vessel for the greater simplicity of construction in all its phases, offering the most remarkable interior volumes for the same performance.
- The study of this new hull has developed over time and through tests in Towing Tank (INSEAN CNR Rome, University of Trieste) and CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics, in Italy and at in Stockholm University) and with the construction of dozens of boats length from 5 to 8 meters, tested in open water and restricted waters, and tested both at sea and lake, towed or self-propelled.
The hull, designed to date for lengths up to 50 meters, is proposed for technology transfer, licensing, sale or transfer of the patent international shipyards and shipowners (passenger ferry) or the industries concerned.
It ‘available at the headquarters of MONOTRICAT Srl holder of international patent, a model of 8m. for tests and experiments in open water.
The SME MONOTRICAT deals with ship design, patenting and technology transfer of innovative naval hulls high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy savings of at least 20% and load capacity increased by 20%, called MONOTRICAT®, first displacement hull navigating at speed of planing hulls of spray self- produced and with resistance curve equal to a straight line. The patent for the innovative naval hull MONOTRICAT® is proposed for sale / license / technology transfer, directed to: shipowners, shipyards, entities interested in building new ships fast from 10 to 40 meters that exceed the characteristics of speed displacement hulls with a considerable energy saving, and can be used for pleasure boats, work boats, fishing boats, fast ferries, patrol boats, coastgard, etc.
The innovative patented naval hull Monotricat® has been tested and certified in leading universities and research italians and foreigners Institutes such as: C.N.R. INSEAN Towing Tank Naval Institute of Rome, Department of Naval Engineering University of Trieste, KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm (Sweden).
The innovative patented naval hull Monotricat® was presented at important international conferences of the nautical sector such as: SEAMED University of Messina 2012 and 2014, Hiper 2014 Athens, NAV 2015 Campus Lecco Milan Polytechnic (ATHENA and Fincantieri), Hiper 2016 (in preparation) .
The Monotricat® hull is patented in Europe and in the major countries of the world.
The Monotricat®hull was the subject of publications in scientific journals and of nautical sector journals such as:
- RIVISTA MARITTIMA (MARITIME MAGAZINE) Marina Militare Italiana (Italian Navy), July 2013: “New hull Monotricat® high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy recovery”;
- NAUTICA INTERNATIONAL November 2009: A. Mancini: “The Monotricat®: New Hull New Boat”;
- NAUTICA sept 2009: A. Mancini: “The Monotricat®, a new fairing for a new yacht”;
- Journal of Shipping and Ocean Engineering n.5 (sep-oct 2015): L. Mascellaro: “Monotricat®, Innovative Displacement hull Hydrodynamic high efficiency and energy recovery, Navigating at speeds of Planing hulls on spray Self-Produced”;
- Proceedings NAV 2015 18th International Conference on Ships and Shipping Research Campus of Lecco, Politecnico Milano, June 2015: Mascellaro L., L. Axner, J. Gong: “MONOTRICAT® Hull, first displacement hull naval navigating at speeds of planning hulls, spray on self-produced, at high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy recovery “;
- Proceedings V Congress SEA-MED, Messina 2012: Prof. I. Zotti, A. Agrusta, University of Trieste, Department of Engineering and Architecture: “Evolutions and trends in the development of modern naval hydrodynamic hulls”;
- Proceedings VI Congress SEA-MED, University of Messina, 2014: L. Mascellaro: “First naval unit monohull patented high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy savings are navigating a foaming self- produced”;
- PRACE Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe: L. Axner, J. Gong, A. Chiarini, L. Mascellaro: “SHAPE pilot Monotricat srl: Hull resistance simulations for an innovative hull using OpenFOAM” www.prace-ri.eu.
Sole Administrator of MONOTRICAT Srl is Luigi Mascellaro, Naval Designer, member of the ATENA (Italian Naval Technology Association) and member of ASPRONADI (Professional Association of Naval Designers), Reviewer of Journal of Shipping and Ocean Engineering, inventor and author of international patents of innovative models of naval hulls (“Monotricat®”) high hydrodynamic efficiency and energy saving.
Are you interested in receiving more information about this wonderful project?
Contact us to request additional information about this project by filling in the following form: